Angela Hwang, group president of Pfizer Biopharmaceuticals Group, is the keynote speaker for Connecticut Business Industry Association (CBIA)‘s Jan. 22 Economic Summit + Outlook 2021 conference.
Hwang talks with Connecticut Bioscience Growth Council executive director Paul Pescatello about Pfizer’s successful COVID-19 vaccine development, how the organization is distributing the vaccine across the country and the world, and the impact on public health and the economy.
Hwang, a member of Pfizer’s executive team, heads up an organization of 26,000 employees across 125 countries, responsible for bringing over 600 innovative medicines and products to patients.
She leads seven commercial business units that deliver transformational medicines addressing major global health priorities in cancer, rare disease, inflammation and immunology, primary care, infectious diseases, and preventative care with vaccines.
Hwang is active in a number of industry groups such as BIO, where she previously co-chaired the Vaccines Policy Committee.
In 2019, she was named in Crain’s Notable Women in Healthcare list, and in 2020 she was ranked 16th in Fortune’s Top 50 Most Powerful Women.
Gov. Lamont, Rebuilding Connecticut
This year’s summit, which will be held online because of COVID-19 guidelines and restrictions, also features Gov. Ned Lamont.
Lamont will outline his policy agenda for the 2021 legislative session, including his plans to close the state’s projected two-year, multi-billion dollar budget deficit, rebuild the state’s economy, and streamline state government operations.
Attendees will also hear from a panel of speakers who are driving innovation in Connecticut, including StamfordNext executive director Wes Bemus, District New Haven chief operating officer JoHannah Hamilton, and Upward Hartford founder and CEO Shana Schlossberg.
The summit also includes state senators Cathy Osten (D-Baltic) and Heather Somers (R-Mystic) and state representatives Tom O’Dea (R-New Canaan) and Jason Rojas (D-East Hartford), members of a bipartisan group of state lawmakers who signed and support CBIA’s Rebuilding Connecticut policy pledge.
The Economic Summit + Outlook 2021 is produced by CBIA and the MetroHartford Alliance and made possible through the generous support of Webster Bank.
Summit registration is free for CBIA and MetroHartford Alliance members and CONNSTEP clients.
8:30 am | Opening Remarks
- Chris DiPentima,President & CEO, CBIA
- John Ciulla, President & CEO, Webster Bank
8:45 am | Governor Ned Lamont
9:30 am | Break
9:45 am | Rebuilding Connecticut: The Bipartisan Approach
- Moderator: Eric Gjede, VP, Government Affairs, CBIA
- State Representative Tom O’Dea (R-New Canaan)
- State Senator Catherine Osten (D-Baltic)
- State Representative Jason Rojas (D-East Hartford)
- State Senator Heather Somers (R-Mystic)
10:30 am | Reimagining Connecticut
- Moderator: Sarah Bodley, Executive Director, reSet
- Wes Bemus, Executive Director, StamfordNext
- JoHannah Hamilton, Chief Operating Officer, District New Haven
- Shana Schlossberg, Founder & CEO, Upward Hartford
11:15 am | Pfizer’s COVID-19 Vaccine: Development, Distribution, & Beyond
- Angela Hwang, Group President, Pfizer Biopharmaceuticals talks with Connecticut Bioscience Growth Council Executive Director Paul Pescatello
11:50 am | Closing Remarks
- David Griggs, President & CEO, MetroHartford Alliance